Tuesday, November 13, 2007

A marathon story: From the start to the start line

It's been a long journey - one that's not yet reached its culmination point. I'm all set to run for the Philadelphia half-marathon this Sunday.
As I sat down to think about it, I realized that the only thing more arduous than reaching the finish line of the marathon was the very journey which led me to the start line. I still remember the first day - a crisp mid-June Sunday morning, the first mile - it seemed to last forever. Back then, I had never run more than a mile or two. The magic number 13.2 seemed to be a very distant target. And I had no clue what I was in for.
I started the whole journey motivated by two factors - first and foremost was the mere nature of the task and the fulfillment of achieving it. Next was the amazing feeling of participating in the intertwined fundraiser - an opputinity to give back to the world where it matters.
What goes unsaid are the long practice runs every Sunday, the short 3-4 mile runs two times a week (after the busy work day), those small things I had to give up for a short term - the Saturday late nights and the game of tennis (as it hinders with my running) to name a few. But what remains in the end is the satisfaction and the eagerness to march ahead as I approach the final frontier. I'm all set to run down my first half-marathon - hopefully the first of a long list yet to follow.
Will be back with the next half of the story, as soon as history is written...


No comments: